For after sales Client Care please contact:
Client Services Coordinator
613-542-4922 x 111
156 Duff Street, Kingston, ON K7K 2L5
Tel: 613-542-4922 Fax: 613-542-2142
After Hours 613-561-8606 (Tyler Dunkley)
Frequently Asked Questions
- +Can I customize my house?
Absolutely. We can accommodate small changes or complete customization of your new home. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- +Can I visit the house during construction?
No. For safety and insurance reasons this is not allowed. If you wish to visit site during the construction process, you must schedule an appointment and accompanied by a Barr Homes staff.
- +Are my telephone & cable lines finished off?
Yes, your telephone and cable lines are finished off with proper plates. The connecting ends are terminated where the underground services come in so connections of both of these services are quick and easy.
- +There does not seem to be any progress on the construction of our house lately. Why?
Construction progress is affected by factors such as permit availability, trade schedules, material delivery, and weather. There may be times when progress appears to be at a standstill, and other times when a lot of progress is made very quickly.
- +Where do I get my house keys?
Keys will be available from your lawyer on closing day. You will also need to bring the Certificate of Completion and Possession (Tarion Warranty Certificate) given to you at the Pre-Delivery Inspection.
- +Does my garage door have a keyed entry?
- There is an interior slide lock as standard . Keyed entry is an optional upgrade, and will provided by lawyers at closing.
- +How do I set up my mail delivered?
- Please contact your local Canada Post office or visit them at www.canadapost.ca
- +I just moved in and the repairs from my Pre-Delivery List are not complete. When will they be rectified?
- We strive to complete all items on the PDI list prior to you moving in. A schedule of uncompleted items should be provided to you with a schedule of work needed. However, some items may require more time then available prior to close.
- +Who should I call if I have questions about the construction or service at my house?
Your primary contact is always your Customer Service Coordinator at 613-542-4922
Concrete Foundations, Floors and Porches
- +Are cracks in concrete foundations, or floors a cause for concern?
As is the case with floor slabs, concrete foundation walls can crack as a result of shrinkage and/or minor settlement. Generally, cracks do not indicate a defect and do not leak. If you detect leakage at a foundation crack, contact the Service Department.
- +Is it ok to use salt on my front porch?
Salt, combined with the winter freeze/thaw cycles, can cause serious erosion to concrete surfaces. Most often the front edge of the garage floor is affected. It is important to keep these areas clean and to apply a suitable sealer to the concrete once a year to prevent salt damage.
- +What system do you use for waterproofing the foundation?
We use the Code Blue Waterproofing system, which is not a “damp” proofing but an actual water proofing system.
- +Is it normal to have an odour when using my new fireplace?
An odour is normal when first using a new fireplace. It is the oil left on the unit from the manufacturing process and it needs to burn off. The best thing to do is leave your fireplace on for six hours continuously to burn the oil off. You may need to open some windows to keep the smoke alarms from sounding.
- +Is there to be a air return duct in all the bedrooms?
- All HVAC design is completed by a certified registered HVAC designer, installed by qualified technicians and Inspected by municipal inspectors.
- +How do I fix my bathroom or outside plugs if they've stopped working ?
Both bathroom and outside plugs are on a separate Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) for safety reasons. One of these have probably tripped. The exterior GFCI outlets are located by the front door and/or the rear door. To reset the interior or exterior GFCI outlets, simply push the reset button on the outlet to restore power to the plugs. If the GFCI is not tripped, check the circuit breaker in the main electrical panel.
- +My Air Conditioner is not cooling my House
- Ensure that you check the following before calling ;
* Thermostat is set to “cool” and set at least 5 degrees belwo the house temperature.
* Breaker switch in electrical panel is fully in the “on” position.
* Outside electrical switch located near the A/C unit is in the “on” position
If the unit still does not start up, please contact your servcie rep. Remember that the air conditioner takes time to cool off the house. Sustained high outdoor temperatures will cause the indoor temperature to rise temporarily. You can save on colling costs by closing window coverings during the day.
- +When can I pave my driveway?
It is best to wait for close to a year ( a complete freeze/ thaw cycle) before paving in order to avoid future settlement problems. Normally, driveway paving begins in the month of June each year and finishes by October.
- +Water Ponding In Surface Grading Of my home.
- Settlement and subsidence of the land around the building or along utility lines, other than subsidence beneath the footings of the building, is excluded from the statutory warranty. · Damage resulting from normal shrinkage of materials due to drying after construction is not covered by the statutory warranty.
- +When is the landscaping finished with my new home?
Landscaping and sod are done as weather and conditions of the subdivision allow. We try to get it done as soon as possible but there are sometimes delays.
- +Why are there no survey pegs on my lot?
Survey markings may no longer be visible after the lot is graded and landscaped. A survey certificate, included in your closing documents that may be helpful.
- +Why are there gaps between the hardwood floorboards?
- Hardwood are natural wood products and therefore are highly susceptible to changes in indoor relative humidity, which may cause dimensional changes in the flooring material. To determine warrantability, the width of the crack would be measured during both the heating and cooling seasons. The homeowner has a responsibility to maintain indoor humidity levels through humidification, ventilation, air conditioning or dehumidification to prevent permanent, irreversible damage. A hygrometer can be used to monitor indoor humidity levels. Areas around heat registers and those exposed to concentrated sunlight may be more susceptible. .
- +Why are the hardwood boards puckering and showing ridges?
Hardwood is a natural wood product and expands in width when the environment is humid. If the boards do not have room to expand, they push upward with a visible pucker or cupping. Proper control of the indoor humidity levels will prevent this from happening.
- +Are squeaks in my new floor normal ?
- Some squeaking resulting from normal shrinkage of materials after construction is acceptable however; floors shall be reasonably free from squeaks caused by movement in the floor system connections under normal seasonal indoor humidity and loading conditions.
Remarks – low-humidity indoor environments can cause excessive shrinkage in the wood resulting in loose floor connections. Excessive high-humidity indoor environment can cause expansion in the wood resulting in pressure-related floor squeaks. The homeowner must maintain indoor humidity levels to prevent excessive drying or expansion of materials. A permanent squeak-free floor may not be attainable.
- +How do I prevent condensation on my windows ?
If your house has an HRV installed just use your controls to lower the humidity in the house. If warm moist air inside the house comes in contact with the window glazing on a cold day, moisture may condense on the windowpane at the edges of the glass near the frame. On very cold days, condensation may freeze, forming ice. You need to ensure moist air in your home is removed at its source. Run the HRV or bathroom fan on high for 15 minutes after a shower and use the range hood when stovetop cooking to lower humidity levels.
- +Accessible Customer Service Plan
PROVIDING GOODS AND SERVICES TO PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
Gordon Barr Ltd. / Barr Homes are committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staffs are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. Fees will not be charged for support persons.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Gordon Barr Ltd. Office located at 156 Duff St. Kingston Ontario. Gordon Barr Ltd. will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at Head office Located at 156 Duff St. Kingston, Ontario.
Training for staff
Gordon Barr Ltd. / Barr Homes will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf. Individuals in the following positions will be trained: Administration, Managers, and Office Personnel. This training will be provided to staff within 6 months.
Training will include
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standards.
- Gordon Barr Ltd. plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Gordon Barr Ltd.’s goods and services.
- How to use any Equipment related.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Gordon Barr Ltd. / Barr Homes provides goods and services to people with disabilities can e-mail, to email@example.com. All feedback will be directed to HR Manager. Customers can expect to hear back in 5 days. Concerns and suggestions will be addressed according to our organizations regular issues management procedures.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Gordon Barr Ltd. / Barr Homes that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.